The Church building (pictured here on the right) was originally built for North Morningside United Presbyterian Church who used it until 1881 when it became too small. They then built a new, larger, church on the other side of the road (which is now the Eric Liddell Centre).
From 1881 the old church was home to the Morningside Athenaeum Club before the Congregational Church purchased it in 1890.
In 1928 this church was demolished and a new one erected (which is now Morningside United Church).
Eric Liddell would have attended meetings in both buildings during his two extended stays in Edinburgh. The old church from 1920 to 1925 and the current building (Morningside United Church) from 1930 to 1932. He also preached at the church on a number of occasions.
Church Notice from The Scotsman, 19th September 1931
Notice of Memorial Service for Eric Liddell from The Scotsman, 18th May 1945