Message from John MacMillan, CEO
I am pleased to launch and publish the Eric Liddell Centre’s Manifesto for the 2021 Holyrood Election, which outlines the key areas that we urge the incoming Scottish Government to take action on.
Our “call to arms” to the Scottish Government concentrates on:-
- Our support for the introduction of the recommendations of the Review of Adult Social Care (the ‘Feeley report’)
- The need to prioritise investment in social care
- Adopting new ways to provide third sector funding support
- The continuous rise of the number of people living with dementia and the increased demand/need for more and better support
- The under-recognised role of unpaid carers who are often isolated, lonely and facing financial challenges
- The important part that the voluntary sector can play in the recovery from COVID
- The crucial role of volunteers in our communities
The Eric Liddell Centre has been providing key support to vulnerable people for over 40 years. Like many other charities and community organisations, the last year has been extremely difficult with Centre’s building being closed to the public since March 2020. Despite the pandemic, we have continued to provide alternative services to the vulnerable people we support via alternative, innovative, outreach and online digital methods.
I ask the next government to learn from COVID-19 and recognise this is a unique opportunity to restructure, rebuild and refinance a workable new health and social care model, where funding is available to provide for the needs of all people in Scotland.
To read our Manifesto, please click here